Friday, September 26, 2008

Found Signage





I was walking home last night and passed this deli that's going out of business--the shop has been closed for a while, but they're still moving out. I was really pleased to see these signs on the windows that were so bizarre and poignant, in the midst of so much campaign rhetoric, and hysteria disguised as campaign rhetoric. After I took pictures of the above three signs, I saw the below one [click on the picture to enlarge and read it]:




This was news to me. I am sad to say that I don't even remember the name of this deli, and I never went in it, though not because it didn't look like a good one. I always remember looking through the windows and seeing bialies, Dr. Brown's soda, and lox in the cases or on the shelves. I think it was the kind of Pittsburgh business that was open from 7:00 am to 3:00 pm, and was possibly closed on the weekends--so, it may have literally existed in a parallel universe: the one where other people get to enjoy my neighborhood while I'm at work.

But I digress. I want to point out that I think the Obama signs were NOT hung up by the deli owner (my suspicion lies in the tape that was on the OUTSIDE of the window for the above three), while the typed sign clearly was the deli owner. I think it's interesting in itself that while the deli was emptying out, its windows began to be used as a billboard.